My Board member task: Fix the Feature Process

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 11:28:35 UTC 2012

On 01/26/2012 08:50 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Since we didn't get to the Board member tasks at yesterday's meeting, jsmith
> suggested that the Board members send the goals they've selected (if they've
> done so already) to the mailing list to start discussion.
>
> I've talked to rbergeron and decided to take the task of fixing the Feature
> Process.  We've known for a long time that the Feature Process provides
> a useful service but at the expense of aggravating the people implementing
> features [sometimes unnecessarily], annoying the people deciding what's
> a feature [often unnecessarily], and without always achieving the
> collaboration needed to make release happen without slippage and/or last
> minute fixing of feature-driven brokenness [seems like at least every other
> release].
>
> These and other problems were collected by rbergeron and other impacted
> Fedora contributors on:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fixing_features
>
> I'll be working on taking those identified problems and turning out a new
> Feature Policy that FESCo can approve which addresses those issues.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Oh, sorry, got overly excited there for a minute.

Next steps? Timeline? Where is communication going to happen? :) I know
it's been mentioned at times that having a FAD to tackle this at some
stage might be faster/higher-bandwidth, but I leave that ball in your court.

Thanks, Toshio, for taking this one on. :)

-robyn