Sponsoring event attendees

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 15 15:42:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:
> We do continue to have FADs -- I think we are having fewer of them that
> are focused on solving a particular problem, and perhaps more of them that
> are oriented as "Mini-FUDCons."

Hence my comments in my "State of Fedora" address at FUDCon Blacksburg
about improving the quality of FADs.  During my time as FPL, I saw
several of FADs that didn't have a clear goal, any clear metrics to
gauge whether or not the FAD was successful, and no clear reporting
after the FAD (except for a few blog posts that said "I went to
such-and-such event").  My first experience with a FAD was a FAD for
getting the Fedora Talk server up and running.  While the Fedora Talk
service was eventually shut down due to lack of use, I felt the FAD
was successful because it had a very limited goal, we had a way of
measuring whether or not the goal was being achieved, and we reported
back after the FAD on what we did and what we learned.

In my view, a FAD has to be about more than just getting people to
events -- there has to be an underlying reason why sending someone to
the FAD is a good use of Fedora resources.

--
Jared Smith