Sponsoring event attendees

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 16:18:15 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 08:42 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Robyn Bergeron<rbergero at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> We do continue to have FADs -- I think we are having fewer of them that
>> are focused on solving a particular problem, and perhaps more of them that
>> are oriented as "Mini-FUDCons."
> Hence my comments in my "State of Fedora" address at FUDCon Blacksburg
> about improving the quality of FADs.  During my time as FPL, I saw
> several of FADs that didn't have a clear goal, any clear metrics to
> gauge whether or not the FAD was successful, and no clear reporting
> after the FAD (except for a few blog posts that said "I went to
> such-and-such event").  My first experience with a FAD was a FAD for
> getting the Fedora Talk server up and running.  While the Fedora Talk
> service was eventually shut down due to lack of use, I felt the FAD
> was successful because it had a very limited goal, we had a way of
> measuring whether or not the goal was being achieved, and we reported
> back after the FAD on what we did and what we learned.
>
> In my view, a FAD has to be about more than just getting people to
> events -- there has to be an underlying reason why sending someone to
> the FAD is a good use of Fedora resources.
Yes, and a clear list of goals, and follow-up afterwards on what was
accomplished.

While I think that the quality of FADs is a problem, I think it takes
somewhat of a backseat to the fact that (a) people who do have goals
don't realize that there are resources available that they can make use
of in a good way, or if they do, there may be questions as to how they
obtain said resources,  and (b) more generally, if people are confused
or questioning under what circumstances they can accomplish things -- or
more generally, not aware that they are empowered to have SIGs, or solve
problems, without asking or getting permission -- they won't be taking
the initiatives to go ahead and *have* a FAD.  If we aren't, as leaders,
going out and encouraging and inspiring and lending a helping hand
occasionally by saying, "I like your idea, have you thought about taking
it further? What do you see in Fedora that could be improved?" -
newcomers to the community aren't going to know, or in some cases, have
the confidence, or feel that they have support, to say, I have an idea,
and it's freaking awesome, and who wants to join me?

Those are the baby steps on the way to having a FAD.  Having some
inspiration, having a group gathered around an idea, and knowing that
there are resources available. And most importantly: being empowered to
make change, and drive innovation, and further the community, and
knowing you can do so, without asking permission to have an idea.
Eventually, some people will have FADs; others won't, but the seeds have
to be there.