Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 24 19:43:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 21:21 +0200, Antonio Trande wrote:

> what do you think about this ?
> It's just an idea, written quickly.

While I think the idea of a rule imposing a series is brilliant, two
concerns here:

- Emperors as a theme - in a post-colonial world I think it might be a
bit insensitive to elevate imperialism. Topically, I think free software
is diametrically opposed to 'imperialism' in the form of a single
central entity pushing out proprietary software. I also think that for a
global project, we shouldn't fixate on any one region - the Roman
empire, while encompassing quite a large range, was not global and was
rather Euro-centric.

- If we use an ordered series for a theme, there is no theme voting each
release. While I've gotten to the point in my life where I strongly
believe more constructive things could be done with the time and
resources put into voting for names every release, I think the majority
of folks who care would be upset about not getting to vote every
release.

Can you think of some alternative to emperors that has a logical
progression and order? Famous mathematical/scientific constants maybe??

~m