Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Pam Chestek pchestek at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 15:38:22 UTC 2012

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 06:52 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> We could, theoretically, just add "No Name, F18 and beyond" in the list
>> with all other release names, in one vote.
>
> The issue with this approach is that it leaves the folks who like having
> names but dislike the current 'is a' process without a say.
>
> So why not continue F18's process as planned since it was already
> started, as you suggested? Then have a separate vote after that one,
> where as a community we can decide either no release name or select a
> scheme for the release names to follow.
>
> Here's a start at some suggestions for naming schemes, anybody feel free
> to add:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Suggestions_for_Fedora_Codename_Theme
>
> ~m

I'll add one asterisk to this approach.  Sometimes you get into ratholes
on trademark clearance, where a concept is so commonly used that all the
words in the concept have been used as trademarks and you can't clear
anything.  Our current system avoids the problem because it naturally
provides a transition to a different set of concepts to get out of
ratholes.  Looking at the list, my gut tells me that constellations,
stars, etc. will be ratholes, as well as subatomic particles and
Shakespeare names.  I would also avoid any category with last names
(innovators, names in computer history and composers), since then we
also have to worry about the right of publicity when clearing names. And
I have to give more thought to book titles --

Just some food for thought if we go down the path of naming based on a
theme, so we can be sure to pick a fertile, flexible theme rather than
one that will offer nothing but frustration. We might want to consider
running some test names in a proposed theme to see what kind of results
we get.

Pam

Pamela Chestek
Sr. IP Attorney