Can we get an official fedora position on OpenH264?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Nov 4 19:43:44 UTC 2013

On 11/04/2013 01:22 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> If Fedora is not going to implement (or remove) the ability for Firefox
> the ability to download the OpenH264 binary from Cisco, this might affect
> the decision to have H.264 as a mandatory to implement codec for WebRTC.
> It has been suggested that it might help Fedora to comment on the project's
> position on the WebRTC's mailing list, particularly as it is looking more
> likely for H.264 to be mandatory now that Cisco is going to provide a
> binary implementation free of cost when downloaded directly from Cisco.

Either the implementation is free (and unencumbered) and can be included
in fedora... or it isn't.

> Several people have stated that Fedora will not allow this

not allow what exactly?  The ability to automatically download/install
this?  If so, I think a citation is needed...  While distasteful,
offhand I can't think of or find any policy disallowing it.

(I mean firefox *now* already offers the ability to find/install
non-free plugins, no?)

-- Rex