Can we get an official fedora position on OpenH264?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Nov 4 20:07:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 13:43:44 -0600,
   Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>On 11/04/2013 01:22 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>>Several people have stated that Fedora will not allow this
>
>not allow what exactly?  The ability to automatically
>download/install this?  If so, I think a citation is needed...  While
>distasteful, offhand I can't think of or find any policy disallowing
>it.

The automatic download. The Codenia case was cited as a precedent. But
I am not sure that would apply here.

There are also games that download nonfree assests in Fedora. (These
are typically assests with a no commercial use restriction.)

>(I mean firefox *now* already offers the ability to find/install
>non-free plugins, no?)

I am not sure what the exact mechanism for installing the codec will be. I
can't see blocking a manually instigated install of OpenH264. maybe we
would tweak an automated install, depending on how it worked.