Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 20:21:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 02:46:16PM -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:

> [...]
This particular portion has nothing to do with packaging guidelines
whatsoever.  The current policy referened is the FESCo Third Party
Repository Policy (link is in the quotation).

However, the current FESCo policy does indirectly let FESCo enforce
(if this were to happen, likely a subset) of the pakcaging guidelines if
they so choose as FESCo is able to approve or remove approval for us to ship
a pointer to a specific repository.  If I remember correctly, FESCo didn't
mention wanting to use that approval to enforce the packaging guidelines but
did mention using it to resolve questions like: "Would we want to point our
users at repositories that were known to be buggy, had frequent or unfixed
security issues, caused problems for packages in the Fedora repository
itself"

-Toshio