Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 22 09:58:54 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 10:40 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Christian Schaller wrote:
>

>     So between Josh and Red Hat graphics team
>     I hope you can trust that we have the right people on board to find
>     a solution if a solution is possible.
>
> I am sorry but  "Trust us" is not enough.

For ages, kernel devs have been telling users tainted kernels (Such as
those being tainted by NVidia kernel modules) would be unmaintainable
and unmanageable due to lack of open sources. Has this situation changed?

Also, users frequently have been told the legal situation of NVidia's
binary kernel-blobs was at least "unclear", with some saying it was
illegal. Has this situation changed?

Ralf