Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 22 14:21:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 08:47:28AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> There have been no discussions within Red Hat about changing how the
>> Fedora kernel is handled, nor how binary blobs are handled.  That
>> discussion hasn't taken place because currently FESCo and Board policy
>> prohibits 3rd party repositories so there is nothing to really
>> discuss.
>
> That surprises me a little - I'd assumed that this wouldn't have been
> proposed without some prior discussion about how it could be
> implemented.

The proposal is about 3rd party repositories in the general sense.
Yes, such a repository could contain a closed-source driver, but as
noted it would need to be approved first.  That is done on a
case-by-case basis, so I would think the natural time to discuss that
specific repo and it's technical implications would be when it was
getting vetted.

josh