Fedora Board IRC Meeting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 23 20:12:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They aren't random.  They were vetted and approved by Fedora Legal as
>> being pages that can reference third party repositories.  They are, to
>> my knowledge, the only such pages approved in a legal sense.  If they
>> were random, I would have deleted them or had them deleted as I did
>> the other pages that were found that weren't approved.
>

> I don't think the Flash page had anything to do with legal approval and to
> my knowledge, there is nothing preventing a similar wiki page from
> describing say Skype.  It is non-free software but there is no legal issue
> with describing how to install non-free software. I don't see why one would
> need legal approval for that.  Something in the wiki doesn't make it
> endorsed by Fedora as a project.  They are often user contributed content
> (for example, FWN summaries describing how to install the Nvidia driver or
> even MP3 codecs in great detail) .

1) I did not say endorsed, I said approved.

2) I don't randomly make up stories or tell lies.  The pages were
approved by Fedora Legal.  There _are_ legal issues with describing
how to install non-free software, which is why they had to be vetted
first.

3) If you want to add a page for Skype or other non-free software,
please get it approved by Fedora Legal.

josh