[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Report : Event Lan

Gerold Kassube gerold at lugd.org
Sun Apr 23 14:53:04 UTC 2006

OK, ...

Chitlesh I did also the update from three maschines from FC4 to FC5 and
ok, they all failed ...
In this case you're right!

But the issue that there are'nt enough HOWTOs and descriptions are in
the web I personally NOT agree with you. From standing I'll know more
that 5 big pages where to find a lot of information about Fedora,
updating, post installation etc. etc. ...
But maybe what is important is: we don't have any summery page where to
find the most helps that's correct; but I think, the unity project
(http://fedoraunity.org/) will close this issue and help that we're
getting ONE Source ...

Regards

Gerold

 Am Sonntag, den 23.04.2006, 14:30 +0200 schrieb Chitlesh GOORAH:
> Report;
>
> This LAN gaming was a 2 days event.
>
> My speech had a duration of one and half hour, which was about OSS and
> how easy is to use them.
>
> Things i've discussed:
>
> - mp3 versus ogg
> - licenses : GPL, Propriety, BSD , which was very interactive.
> - intelligent downloading with yum
> - XGL, I used my girlfriend's dapper to do that.
>
> In the end, there was questions, lots of questions. I was surprised.
>
> Nevertheless, there was some propositions too,
>
> A guy told me that he shifted from Fedora to Ubuntu, just because he
> did a yum update from FC4 to FC5  which failed. At his disposal was
> ubuntu breezy, so he gave it a try. In accordance to him, there is a
> lack of tutorials for users (for FC) that missing compared to Ubuntu.
> See http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100 (note he wasn't
> talking about patents softs)
>
> Eg. Which I tried myself and gave up to sleep.
> When Fedora Core 5 is installed on a USB harddisk ( which any new
> linux user will do), after a successfull installation, it won't boot
> from the USB just because the drivers are not modprobe before seeking
> the kernel. Some of the linux users gave up, Fedora for Ubuntu for
> this reason, because they found a howto some how on the internet. e.g
> what my girlfriend did :
> http://zerlinna.blogspot.com/2006/03/dual-boot-on-external-usb-drive-with.html
>
> Most of the linux users there are using Ubuntu, for the mere simple
> reason Ubuntu's ShipIt. These guys don't go to each linux events which
> are hardly enough in their locality. So no Fedora DVDs!
>
> In fact, I think, many users have given a try to Fedora, because they
> heard so much about it. But in the end, they don't have enough
> materials online to continue their journey with it. Personnally it is
> something the Fedora Project should work on. Fedora Marketing is
> working good, but the achievement is not durable.
>
> Regards,
> Chitlesh Goorah
> --
> http://clunixchit.blogspot.com