[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Fedora Mirrors

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:13:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 19:00 +0100, Thijs wrote:

> Hi Tejas,

Hiya Thijs

> It's of course nice if an Ambassadors can get FC5 earlier, but, how
> many times does it happen that you need FC5 exactly on the release
> date? And is it really important for spreading Fedora - the goal of
> being an Ambassador ?

Although it is not essential, it would be a benefit if Ambassadors could
get the CDs a few days earlier.

See, why do mirrors get it early? Because they can in turn give it to
people who download it from there. Here, the ambassadors will act like
mirrors, and distribute.

Besides, I know lots of people who sit for hours waiting for the
release, just so that they can download. Having something on the day of
release is an exiting thing for many people (hell, i am definately one
of them).

> I don't think we should be able to get FC5 earlier, just for our own
> fun.

Which is why I mentioned that only those ambassadors who ask for mirror
access only for distribution purposes should be granted the same.

Although I doubt we can strictly enforce this, I suggest asking
ambassadors to make a minimum number of CDs if they download early.

It is up to the ambassadors to honor that.

Gja