[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Fedora Mirrors

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 17:09:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Thijs wrote:

> Hi Tejas,
>
> It's of course nice if an Ambassadors can get FC5 earlier, but, how many
> times does it happen that you need FC5 exactly on the release date? And is
> it really important for spreading Fedora - the goal of being an Ambassador ?
>
> (The following is not directly related to Tejas' message, but it are just my
> thoughts) We should watch out that we don't become a special "privileged"
> group. Ambassadors are normal people. I don't think we should be able to get
> FC5 earlier, just for our own fun. It is in the interest of the "image" (if
> that's the right word) of the Ambassadors and The Fedora Project.
>
> - Thijs

I disagree.

A good Ambassador does work to spread and promote Fedora.  The people who
are willing to go out of their way to spread the word should be rewarded,
with status if nothing else.

There's nothing elitist about it, though -- unless hard work is elitist.
And Thijs, when you say that Ambassadors are normal people, that's true in
a sense -- but normal people who take strong leadership roles become
extraordinary, by choice.

Nothing prevents someone from being an Ambassador, and those who choose to
work should be rewarded.

As far as mirrors for Ambassadors -- interesting idea, but I think we
achieve the same effect if we have rolling "Fedora release parties" within
a month of the release.

--g