[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Steering committee meeting last night.

Robert 'Bob' Jensen marketing-list at fedoralinks.org
Tue Mar 14 11:35:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 04:07 +0000, Clair wrote:
> After reading through the transcript of the steering committee meeting which
> happened last night, I have a few pointers:
>
> * Why is funding, swag, and events seen as the three 'big' things? No. Events
> are NOT the most important part of ambassadors. I cannot stress this enough.
> Funding and swag should not be seen as something that makes or breaks
> ambassadors. The only swag that is imo important is the DVDs. And these can
> be produced much more cheaper than the plan so far, and should be sent to ALL
> ambassadors whether they are going to an event or not. Handing out DVDs to
> friends and people "on the street" is a very big way fedora is spread.
>
> * Alex is trying to combine mentors and ambassadors. This is a sign that Alex
> is thinking that ambassadors is some master project. No. It's not.
> Ambassadors are here to do one job, and one job only. You do not discuss, or
> deal with, marketing. You do not mentor. You tell people about Fedora. You
> tell them anywhere, not just in the big events.
>
> * The only overlap between ambassadors and mentors is that the ambassadors
> project is in serious need of support. There are too many ambassadors who, in
> my opinion, do not know what their role is, or how to fulfill it. It is good
> that the committee is starting to see this.
>

> As a side note:
> (19:21:20) rjune [n=rjune at oh-67-76-200-198.sta.sprint-hsd.net] entered the
> room.
> (19:21:34) lxmaier: rjune: who are you?
> (19:22:23) lxmaier: rjune: this is a members-only meeting, please leave
> (19:22:42) rjune left the room (Kicked by lxmaier (lxmaier)).
>
> I was taken aback when reading this - it shocks and saddens me. rjune is an
> important member of the fedora community. Several things spring to mind here:
> 1) By asking "Who are you", it has become clear that Alex does not know, or
> care about, anyone who is not an ambassador. She should seriously consider
> getting to know strong community members like rjune, whether ambassador or
> not.
> 2) Fedora is open source. We are open. Why should someone be stopped from
> spectating (or even taking part?) in a meeting, whether it's committee or
> not, whether they're members or not?
> 3) /kick is a tool that should be used lightly. Not only does keeping +o go
> against freenode guidelines, using said op tools is not recommended unless it
> is really necessary, since it raises the channel temperature.

For the record, rjune was only kicked, he could have rejoined. He could
have answered and stated his concerns but he did not. rjune only joined
to "help rattle cages." This alone was pointless and childish not to
mention potentially counter productive.

--
Robert 'Bob' Jensen <marketing-list at fedoralinks.org>
Fedora Marketing Projects