[Ambassadors] Fedora EMEA e.v. (was Re: What Fedora makes sucking ...)

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 13:38:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Robert Scheck wrote:

> Fedora EMEA e.V. needs members to exist at all. At least the board + 1
> if I know correctly. So without any members, the organisation dies and
> the whole money is transfered to the Free Software Foundation Europe
> (FSFE).

Sure, it needs a bare minimum amount of members.  But its *purpose*
isn't to grow its membership rolls, if that makes sense.

>> The non-profit is simply a safe, trusted place where resources can be
>> held in escrow.
>>
>> Am I wrong?
>
> No, I think you aren't wrong and I agree with you.
>
> My main issue is regarding the membership fee: I don't know, whether I
> am one of the less guys thinking, that giving 128 Euro per year to
> somewhere out of my private pocket is too much money if I don't hear
> anything by that organisation. And you surely can agree with me, that
> a simple message "we have bought XYZ poloshirts for ABC" would have
> been not to much, when I am now looking to the (by law allowed)
> representative part of the board, which is of course excluding you as
> treasurer being non-representative as by the statutes.

See my other email in this thread, sent a few minutes ago.

> Maybe the 128 Euro per year are the real issue. Maybe we should reduce
> to e.g. 12 Euro per year or similar, that people like me don't care
> about what happens with the (my) money.

That would be fine with me.  To be honest, I don't remember what the
original rationale was for setting the membership fee at 128.

--Max