[Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 16:12:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 09:25 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I have a question for FAMSCo:  Can someone who is a well-known and
> active Fedora contributor join the fedora-ambassadors-list, without
> having to take on yet more Ambassador duties?

I was shocked that it was still restricted access.

There is no way, at least in the US, that we can grow Ambassador
interest without making it easy to lurk.

Lurkers can wait for what they want to do, then jump on that.

If someone has to be a doer before they can lurk, that is a big barrier.

Out here in California, the mode is to lurk for a while before doing.

I expect that when I send email to this list, I am also getting it in
front of lurkers who have yet to step-up in California.

If the list is instead entirely of people who are already "doers" but
doesn't have any "may doers", then it is much less valuable for me.  I
need to know that our calls to action in the West are reaching the
widest audience of active and potential Ambassadors.

Other countries and states may have a different culture, but in Cali,
people like to semi-commit before they fully commit.  Being able to join
and lurk on a list is a great semi-commitment.

Thus, a request to FAMSCo to remove that restriction on list
subscribing.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41