[Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 17:09:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 18:15 +0200, Francesco Ugolini wrote:
>> 2008/9/13 inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com>:
>
>> I agree with you, meanwhile there are certain discussions that need to
>> be taken in a place with Ambassadors, just because are only
>> Ambassadors related:
>
> I'm sure this could be accommodated somehow.
>

>> - Budget: Event Owners and Members of Ambassadors Account System Group
>> can ask for this and discuss about it. To plan this one is necessary
>> the opinion of those people. How we could filter comment made by
>> Ambassadors with the other made by list followers?
>
> I can understand concern(s) here,
> is it not possible to create email aliases,
> eg. johndoe at ambassador.fedoraproject.org
> Could be filtered with a wildcard *@amb
>
> but as someone has lives in a country awash with brown envelopes.
> The *budget per say should be open and frank (no relation) as per.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Budget
>
>> - Policy: if we make a vote to change some important policies (like in
>> the past), How can we understand who has the right to vote or not?
>
> as above
>>
>> I agree that during the event organization process is necessary the
>> participation of all the community, but there are still closed issues
>> that must discussed by Ambassadors, just because those are stuff for
>> Ambassadors (like code is for Fedora Developers).
>
> true, but all users(1) can make suggestions through the various methods,
> if x,y,z can be implemented in the code.
>

>> I know it could sound strange but we could find a different solution,
>> maybe using Marketing list to discuss with the whole community (not
>> only Fedora ones) about events. It's quite simple and one of the it
>> would fit the marketing side of an Event.
>
> I actually see some overlap between the two.
> Both are in the biz of promoting Fedora
>
> Frank
>
> (1) Some basic knowledge required.
>

> --
> gpg id EB547226 Revoked Forgot Password :(
> aMSN: Frankly3D
> http://www.frankly3d.com

Per a discussion I just had with John Rose about the direction of this
discussion.  I quote from irc just to give context to what I suggest.

the ambassadors list' issue.  Quite a read
10:32 < inode0> hehe, I think it has been a good discussion at least
from my perspective
10:35 < herlo> inode0: yes, I just didn't think it would even be a discussion
10:35 < inode0> while the NA ambassadors are being fairly aggressive
about rethinking organizational structures it is important for us to
be
                willing to listen very carefully and learn all we can
about the success of ambassadors in other areas and how the existing
                structures have worked well for assisting them in their success
10:35 < herlo> opening it up seemed like the right thing to do
10:36 < herlo> but I like the arguments coming from the other side
too, albeit I mostly disagree with them
10:36 < herlo> inode0: agreed
10:37 < inode0> there are two needs, one mostly administrative and
that is the current role of f-a-l
10:37 < inode0> the other is more community oriented and it seems
lacking now but perhaps needs a different place
10:39 < herlo> well, maybe there should be a fedora-community-list to
which all ambassadors should subscribe
10:39 < herlo> which is kind of what I am seeing be argued although I
didn't see anyone specifically say that :)
10:40 < inode0> most suggestions have been for taking the discussion
to f-m-l but I'm sure there will be objections to that in the end when
those
                discussions seem not appropriate to their mission
10:41 < inode0> I like the idea of f-c-l or something like that but
there is danger of list sprawl too
10:42 < inode0> I don't really mind higher traffic on any of the
lists, more discussion means more ideas
10:45 < herlo> well, I don't think the argument (even though paul
suggested it) to open up the f-a-l will win.  The only real compromise
is to
               say okay, that's fine let's keep this as a planning
list and if a contributor in the community wants to suggest something,
lets
               make an alternate list or a place for them to do so
10:45 < inode0> I think you are right
10:46 < herlo> from my pov, this discussion will go on and on because
people like to dig into the nitty gritty details
10:46 < herlo> I'm one who doesn't want to spend weeks and months
discussing something into the ground.  I'm a man of action and just
want to
               accomplish the purpose for which I set out, helping
people learn and contribute to fedora
10:47 < herlo> so the f-c-l seems like the best option available.
10:47 < herlo> maybe there's something else someone could suggest??
10:47  * herlo thinks he'll take this stuff here and post it to that
discussion now
10:47 <inode0> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors should have
something I think about how to contact us and f-c-l would be fine with
me as a place

I hope nobody is offended by any of the comments above, but it brings
out a couple ideas which I think could help us to accomplish the
original thought brought forward by Paul.  The theory is that we need
a place for the community, anyone who's a fedora contributor (if I'm
wrong here correct me), to be able to sign up to a list and suggest an
idea to help promote and/or grow Fedora in some way.

The main issue here is whether the f-a-l is the right place to have
this happen.  And while I agree with opening it up, I see good
arguments for not doing so and thus, brings me to a point where I'd
like to solve the problem as I see it.  It seems there is an issue
with either marketing and/or ambassadors lists not being the the
perfect place for contributors to make suggestions and what not.

To this end, I suggest we create a list to which ambassadors/marketing
should sign up and others *can* sign up.  The list will essentially
provide what Paul would like to see, but won't become off-topic
discussions in the marketing/ambassadors lists.

Thoughts on this?  I'm still not sure its a perfect solution, but I
believe it leads to a better solution than to discuss filtering or
anything else.  If you have suggestions along these lines, please make
them.  If you think I'm completely mistaken, tell me.

Thanks for listening to my opinions.

Cheers,

Clint