[Ambassadors] What to Do?

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sat Aug 8 19:34:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 21:15, Joerg Simon wrote:
> On Saturday 08 August 2009 17:26:14 Frank Murphy (Frankly3D) wrote:
>> I have come across a number of things,
>> while following up on the quest for volunteers.
>> b: We have come across a case of where, a prospective user who seems to
>> be stuck on F8, has had emails\queries to his local Ambassadors ignored.
>> and even alleges said Ambassadors know nothing of Fedora, and in fact
>> use Ubuntu as their main OS of choice.
>
> If i read the follow up of this topic i get scared! Setting up a central
> instance(in whatever form) to report wrong behavoir? We are a group of peers
> and i see no reason why we should establish such a platform of denouncing.
>
> We had rotten apples in the past and solved this within our regional Groups.
> Feel free to contact this person and try to help him. We have established a
> regional net of mentors who can also help with their expirience to solve
> conflicts. Trust is the Key for our work - we are a open system and we do self
> regulate, no need for such platform.

That's actually why I proposed to just drop a note somewhere and do
this by email, because I don't think this «
issue-which-isn't-really-one » deserves anything more.

And in fact, improper behavior will often be due to lack of
experience. A good talk between the incriminated ambassador and a
mentor (some of us don't have mentors as we joined before mentorship
was set up) would fix most of the « issues » and enter in the « self
regulation » case you're talking about.

Of course, when you want to mentor someone and guide him, you need to
know what his flaws are. That's where the « denouncement » (a much too
strong word, but you get the idea ;) comes into play.

>> This is pleas for advise and direction from the list and even FamSco,
>> (with some follow-up to Infrastructure re:a hopefully possible)
>
> Hope this thread dies fast.

You're underestimating the power of « unconstructivism » of this mailing list :)

Best regards,