[Ambassadors] What's really needed to be an Ambassador?

Ivan Pacheco Martínez ivanpacheko at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:38:14 UTC 2010

El mar, 14-12-2010 a las 18:30 -0200, Igor Pires Soares escribió:
> Em Ter, 2010-12-14 às 09:53 -0430, María Leandro escreveu:
>
> > So, Do we really have an obligation to accept everyone? if not...
> > Should we keep telling people that we will accept everyone to be
> > Ambassador if we will/won't do it? I think that the Ambassadors
> > admission process need some rules besides the one that has (without be
> > too excesive) to make a filter that can help us, Mentor, to provide a
> > better guidance to those contributors that really deserve and want to
> > be Fedora Ambassadors. So, I will write some few ideas and if you
> > guys/girls are interested on give some feedback would be nice. (If you
> > don't and the topic die here don't feel bad :) )
> >

> > 1.- Applicants must help to one of our 6 top teams [1]
>
> I think that we should use that as recommendation. It is a really good
> topic, but it is not a good idea to enforce ambassadors in that way.
> For
> instance, a inactive ambassador from Brazil came to me and said that he
> was willing to collaborate again. I stated that we had some needs
> regarding projects such translation and documentation. Then he said that
> he wasn't able to contribute with such projects because they doesn't fit
> his profile, but he also said that he was able to look for some people
> who fit that profile. This still is a great help IMHO. Of course I'd
> rather see he contribute with documentation itself, but since he is
> willing to help in a way he feels that is more appropriated there is no
> problem.

+ 2 Igor. Exactly, our Project is freedom, included freedom to choice
how or where to contribute. For example, I can't transtale, or I can't
design, Does that limit me for not being able to be an Ambassador?

> > 2.- Applicants must help their local community, in case his/her city
> > doesn't have a local community, she/he should try to build it.
>
> This seems pretty reasonable to me, but maybe we could expand the idea
> of regional to states or provinces. It really depends on the regional
> context.

+ 2. For example, in Mexico there are ambassadors scattered throughout
the country and would be almost impossible to gather even a few.