[Ambassadors] What's really needed to be an Ambassador?

Buddhika Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 14 22:12:02 UTC 2010

Hi,

It is nice to see how Am. are interested in this area.

I need to raise a point there.
If someone says as this is a volunteer project we should not have rules
thats wrong.
Event though Fedora is an opensource project and volunteers contribute the
project
there should be clearly defined set of rules. There can be 'must' and
'should', it is not
an issue.

May be most Ambassadors here related with IT, if people who have knowledge
in HR
and experience in working/ forming FOSS communities/project will never state
that we
should be free and we should have no  'must' and 'should'.

Ambassadors is a group having some responsibilities. if any individual need
to support
fedora and he is not like to follow rules and be with the community they
still can do contribute
fedora. There is no need to get a title to promote fedora.

What i feel is, Ambassadors should always have to follow a guide, presenting
to meetings,
update the community with what they are doing, KIT are really matter. If
they not like to be
in that professional they can leave the group and do their promotions.

RULES are must to ensure proper working of any group otherwise it ll be a
mess. Even apache
has many. If anyone says this is FOSS let anyone do anything this is freedom
I can say he
knows nothing about organizing people. managing HR is really important in
that condition as this is a
volunteering project it become crucial.

Some ambassadors dont have contacts in their user page so how we can ensure
they working
with the project. So proper guidance and set of rules are a MUST. So in the
start there should be
a good way to get people in those who need to contribute to the project and
after that there should
be a good way to monitor them and manage them to ensure we are heading to
the fedora project's goal.

*Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera*
The Editor in Chief - FOSS User Magazine
Fedora Ambassador - Sri Lanka