[Ambassadors] YouTube - Fosdem-review

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 20:44:06 UTC 2010

2010/2/18 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
<snip>
> I think you do know who that person was, but you are to polite to name
> him in public. It was me! But I wasn't hacking or checking my mails, I
> used my private laptop to show a visitor something that I couldn't show
> at the demo-laptops. All of them were in use and none had LXDE or Xfce
> installed.
>
> So your "no private laptops at the booth" policy from Linuxtag turns out
> to be counterproductive. If we are really going to ratify an official
> policy for booth behavior, I don't want that part in there. For most
> events it's not even feasible because we only have private laptops.
>
> Please let me summarize, as I'm not going to reply to further mails:
> What I have asked for is nothing but common sense: We all know that it's
> impolite to turn your back to a person, to sit while he/she has to stand
> or to not look up when somebody comes along. Do we really need a policy
> for polite behavior? I hope not.

I think it's a matter of asking common sense from the right people.
Sending a broadcast message to this mailing list is nowhere near as
effective as going straight to the leader of the group. You get the
leader to agree to do things better, and the rest of the group will
fall in line. We don't need a policy that tells people how to behave,
yes, we're not robots. What we really do need is leadership at events
that will go over to someone and politely suggest 'you know, perhaps
you should take your laptop upstairs to the hacking room.'

90% of it is what the message is, but the other half is how it's
delivered. This is what it means to be professional.

-Yaakov