[Ambassadors] Pre Flisol Events Panama and Mini Deb Conf Panama

Alejandro Perez aeperezt at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 23:57:20 UTC 2010

As you know all latam is getting ready for the FLISOL, in Panama, we
started with series of talk on Free software and local communities, on
Mar 19 at ULACIT and Mar 25 at UIP,  first event was not that many
people as we have some issues with timing but we make the most of it,
the main speaker was from Costa Rica Carolina Flores  and was here for
the Mini Deb Conf and give us her time to do this talk. It was one of
the best talks on Free Software. The evento on Mar 25 has over 50 people
and we have talks from local communities like Ubunto Loco Team Panama,
Open Suse, caelinux, and of cource Fedora. We also have a panamenian
company working on open source tools, talking on the importance for the
students to know this technologies and that we have some jobs spaces for
people trained and with skills on Open Source Technologies.

It was a opportunity to introduce CIDETYS to this University, CIDETYS is
a foundation develop to introduce free software and open source to the
government, they still have to much to do.

Mini Deb Conf Panama, Central America software libre community got the
idea of celebrating on Panama a Debian conference last year, after great
effort and work they meet at City of Knowledge Panama, as this was one
of the few opportunities to learn and share with the central American
FLOSS community I was part of it, we learn some stuff about Debian
community and tech stuff about Debian packing, translation, GNUPG,
Debian License, Compiling the kernel and some more stuff.

But the main thing I have learn give me back to why I'm part of Fedora,
on the talk to introduce our selft to Debian Community the speaker
Hector Colima, mention the Fedora Ambassadors program as something they
need to learn from Fedora, that the Debian Community as strong in its
tech stuff is weak on the social part, we also were glad to ear about
our own Tatica, as sample of what a community can do to share knowledge
and keep members interested.

Tatica, as always thanks for your enthusiastic and energetic work on
Fedora, now your fame grow a bit more to Debian Community.

It was also a great thing to find out that a fellow ambassador from
Salvador was part on the event
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Magjogui , thanks Jose to bring
across the border the Fedora CD's and DVD's , we already have shared to
the other cities that will hold Flisol this year. We could not do it
with out  Neville  help, thanks Neville.

Hope one day we can have a FuDConf here in Panama, with all of you.

This week was important to Panama Fedora Community as many people are
getting interested on be part of it. Hope we can get all them join and
work on some part of this project.

Links to photos: 19 - Mar Pre Flisol
http://picasaweb.google.com/alejandro.perez.torres/PreFlisol19Mar
links to photos: 25 - Mar Pre Flisol
http://picasaweb.google.com/alejandro.perez.torres/PreFlisol19Mar
links to photos: Mini Deb Conf
http://picasaweb.google.com/alejandro.perez.torres/PreFlisol19Mar

We still have some other events on schedule April 8, at Camara de
Comercio Panama, talk with David Bandel, an Author of 3 books about
Linux now living on Panama. April 15 and Universidad Santa Maria la
Antigua, Panamanian lawyer on Intelectual properties will talk about
Panama status with Free Software License.