[Ambassadors] About Fedora release dinners after release parties

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:29:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Truong Anh. Tuan
<tuanta at iwayvietnam.com> wrote:
> To: FAmSCo,
> Cc: Ambassadors fellows,
>
> In previous times, we have a nice prize for Fedora release party
> teams. See: [1], [2].
>
> I think it's really great to give special thanks to those teams
> who organize nice release parties and meet all criteria (pictures,
> reports, etc.) and to encourage others to do next better ones in
> the next releases as well.
> This should be a regular prize for all release parties in the
> future (also see some discussion in ambassador APAC meeting [3]).

>From my personal perspective I would rather not see such things become
permanent. From time to time FAmSCo and others within Fedora do things
that let ambassadors and other contributors know that their work is
appreciated and that is a great thing to do. Permanence changes what
begins as a thank you to something more akin to a payment for work
completed though. Also leaving it as something FAmSCo (and others) can
do at their discretion allows FAmSCo to try different things (dinners,
trips to FUDCon, etc.) and take whatever the current state of the
budget is into account.

I really do agree thanking contributors is very important. Given the
cost of these rewards offered in the past to release parties though
I'm not sure I agree that the expense is in line with the benefit and
reach of release parties. But I like things flexible so we can try out
different things given our current circumstances (budget and project
needs) and easily stop doing things that maybe we decide aren't worth
the cost.

John