[Ambassadors] sponsorship from Microsoft to freesoftware events in Nicaragua

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Fri Mar 18 10:17:19 UTC 2011

To be honest, if they do take some of their billions and financially
support FOSS projects, mainly to make them work on more than just linux,
then good, about time they used their money for some good.

But I suspect there are ulterior motives in this approach:

1. They are cutting their own costs by not having to use their own
testing people, as I know they have labs where they check
interoperability between windows and Linux services.

2. They figured Apple is looking quite evil now in the eyes of the FOSS
community, in terms of behaviour and openness, so they are trying to
make themselves look more favourable.

3. They are trying to grab off some Linux users, by making the same
standard applications work on windows, which basically means they are
scared. (which will work in the GNU Linux Operating system becoming more
"accessible" to people, as they will say, well, I already use most of
the same applications, I may as well save money, be more secure, and
efficient, and use a Linux based operating system).

4. The main reason why they are there, is to show presence, as many
business service providers are now actively seeking cost cutting
measures, which makes them more profitable, and Linux is an attractive
way to do this. (great for the FOSS community too).

So all in all, as far as I am concerned, they can do whatever they like,
as long as they do not make people sign stupid legal agreements to
prevent them from doing what they want with their FOSS
product/developments. If Amarok got 100k in support, for instance, I
could not care less, if it makes Amarok even better. You may replace
Amarok with any other application of your choice in that example.

I would not be too concerned, after all, there is a reason why people
like FOSS, especially hackers, as they can just code and do not have to
worry about libraries and licenses and god knows what else. You just
want to have fun with software/code.
And as a user, typing in serials, and clicking agreement buttons, yuck,
no thanks.

Regards,
Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org