[Ambassadors] Fedora is the 2º most used Linux s ystem

Jukka Palander jukka at devspain.com
Mon Nov 28 14:03:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 17:24 +0800, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> Wrong.
>
> For example, one feature of Gnome 3.2 was called "Fix minor annoyances".
> This was exactly about taking into account users' feedback.

So what they have fixed?

Give me one example. I cannot see anything of those not minor but rather
major!

> Another example is the redesign of the user menu for Gnome 3.4, which
> might reintroduce the poweroff button in some cases.

Might ;-) OK, +1 for the GNOME team.

Now it is a gnome-shell-extension which does not work _at all_ and keeps
crashing the whole thing.
Many of the other extension should also be _part of the GNOME core_

Sometimes, when developing new, one should think and think hard. Is this
idea good at all. Should it be taken back into the drawing board and
start again..
I think GNOME 3 is such a product. It should be started entirely again.
It should be started again from users perspective and especially from
ergonomic perspective.
With current GNOME 3 you have much more mouse clicks than previous one
and it is just one major lacks in there.

I give you an example: One needs to open 2 windows (applications)
maximized and switch between them with a mouse (not with a keyboard
because mouse is the one what "normal people" will use).

1) "old" GNOME

1.1) Start you application by clicking the "application menu", hoover
and open application.
-move once into the left top and select application from menu and click
to open
-2 mouse clicks and 1 major movement with mouse on a screen

1.2) Switch between applications
-move your mouse to the bottom and click another application active to
be on top
-1 mouse click and 1 major mouse movement on screen

2) "new" GNOME

2.1) Start you application by clicking the "activities" and then click
applications and then search what you are looking fore and open
application
-move once into the left top, press click and select applications and
press click and then search application and click to open
-2/3 mouse click and 2-3 major movements with mouse on a screen even
with the scroll bar

2.2) Switch between applications
-move your mouse to the upper left on activities, press click, move
mouse into the window you want to open and press click
-1/2 mouse click and 2 major mouse movement on screen

I could give an another example with multiple desktops etc. Just try
them by yourselves. Its all non-ergonomic and non-configurable. Why have
the top-bar in there at all if you cannot do/put anything in it! Just
hot corner is enough then.

Well then. This was not the topic of the thread at all and therefore we
should open another GNOME-topic if someone sees it is necessary (maybe
some other mailing list also).
I have said what I need(ed) to say and GNOME development will go on its
own routes - I will continue with XFCE for a while. It is goodbye GNOME
for now.

Still, I am not dropping from ambassadors group so easily -at least not
yet. I like Fedora and I do want to spread it out there. Only that I
(and many others) do not like is GNOME (anymore). Maybe few future
releases will do? I did liked GNOME 2.x though.

--
Jukka