[Ambassadors] The Future of release names

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 18:29:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 11:58 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 01:39 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> > I've put up a wiki page that tries to summarize the answers to the first two
>> > questions that I've seen circulated on the advisory-board mailing list and a
>> > link to the only proposal I currently know of (mizmo's proposal to use
>> > a single theme for all of the new Fedora releases).
>>
>> I didn't see a link to the wiki page here or elsewhere in the thread so:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Future_Release_Naming
>>
>> If you are interested please add your name to the list so we can move
>> forward.
>>
>> ~m
>

> I had a thought on this and I would like to ask _why name them at all_
> because we already _number_ them?

We already name them, so why bother numbering them at all? :)

> Fedora Name+number or Fedora number+name sounds like having toast on
> toast to me. People will use the number anyhow when discussing things
> around Fedora. Such as "I'm still running Fedora 15" rather than "I'm
> still running Fedora
> fancy-name-where-no-one-remembers-what-release-it-was".

No one is ever going to remember or use the release name as long as
the Fedora Project on its own website and elsewhere hardly ever
mentions it while sticking Fedora <insert some meaningless number
here> in our faces. If we referred to our releases by name so would
other people.

The release name's purpose is not to be used that way though, it never
has been intended for that as our website demonstrates. The fact that
few people refer to the release name when discussing Fedora isn't
really relevant to whether we should have a release name. It certainly
wasn't the standard of value used prior to now.

John