[Ambassadors] Fedora Budget.next -, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next

Remy DeCausemaker remyd at civx.us
Thu Nov 5 20:01:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Ben Williams <jbwillia at math.vt.edu> wrote:

> OK Remy
> Afew questions
>
> 1) on your .next page it has quarterly reports are those reported by the regions or by Redhat or both
>
> From a Red Hat standpoint, the budget allocation to Fedora happens in the
March/April timeframe, so that'll be reported in that timeframe by the
Fedora Community Lead and the Council on budget.fp.o.

The quarterly reports will be compiled by regional treasurers, signed-off
on by the FCL, and then posted publicly to budget.fp.o.

> 2) it lists Quarterly Budgets, so if we are under budget on one  quarter do we keep that money or (use it or lose it) is it lost?
>
> No. The only "use it or lose it" window, as far as I know is on a Fiscal
year basis (March to February), not a quarterly basis.

Good questions, thanks for asking them. Perhaps this information can be
added to the budget.fp.o wiki page too for future reference.

Looking Forward,
--RemyD.

> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:35:35 -0500
> From: Remy DeCausemaker <decause at redhat.com> <decause at redhat.com>
> To: ambassadors at lists.fedoraproject.org,
> 	famsco at lists.fedoraproject.org, 	Discussions with the Fedora Council
> 	and community	<council-discuss at lists.fedoraproject.org> <council-discuss at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: [Ambassadors] Fedora Budget.next -
> 	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next
>
> Ambassadors,
>
> As some of you may be aware, there have been some changes to how Budget is
> proposed and allocated for the coming fiscal year. This conversation has
> been happening on the Council-discuss list, and through meetings with
> members of the OSAS team:https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-discuss/2015-October/013742.html
>
> With input from the council, OSAS, and other Ambassador Leads, I've taken
> the results of these budget meetings up until this point, and the
> discussions around FOSCo/FAMSCo, and created a wiki page to help explain
> our best understanding of how things should work going forward. The policy
> seen here is a blend of the results from public discussions and meetings
> over the past year on mailing lists, in IRC, and at FLOCK:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next
> **tl;dr** - We're proposing 3 delegated roles in each ambassadorial region
> for treasurer, logistics, and storytelling. We're keeping our reimbursement
> and other policies as close to the same as possible. There is a now
> quarterly budget timeline with scheduled FADs and planning. There will be a
> webpage available in the near-ish future at http://budget.fedoraproject.org
> where folks can find the budget and policies related to it.
>
> This is not a permanent, set-in-stone policy, but we need to start
> somewhere, beginning with the new budget year (FY17) and the next Fedora
> Release (F24.) We can always come back and tinker and change what is on
> that wiki page, but for now, this is what we'd like to propose to close the
> loop on budget.
>
> Please read the wiki page, as the daemon is always in the details, and we
> can use as much informed input and feedback as we can get. I'm hoping to
> spend about a week gathering feedback, and then move forward implementing
> these new budget processes together with all of you
>
> Thank you Ambassador Leads and fellow council members for your early input
> and efforts on this. Your feedback helped to round off some of the rough
> corners, and provided a consistent reminder to adhere to the Fedora-way of
> defaulting to open.
>
> This formalized regional approach to budget is the first step in working
> out a larger community-wide strategy around integrating subprojects and
> other Fedora constituencies with eachother--but that will be a whole nother
> [...]

Remy DeCausemaker
Hackademic & Community Lead
http://whatcanidoforfedora.org