[Ambassadors] the "premier" label [was Re: Fedora Budget.next - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Budget.next]

Alick Zhao alick9188 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 05:15:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:01 PM, S.Kemter <sirko.kemter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>> > It isn't quite clear to me if the Fedora Premier Events are still
>> > intended to be the responsibility of OSAS or of the Council. I think
>> > moving them to the Council, whether lumped with Discretionary Council
>> > Budget or not would be good for transparency and Council flexibility.
>>
>> From the wiki, the word "premier" label means:
>>
>>  * organized by the Fedora community
>>  * all about Fedora
>>
>> I find this a little odd, because the word literally means "most
>> important or best", and I don't think that's actually what we mean.

For ambassadors, "premier" is kind of opposite to "local" events such
as release parties. The actual different lies in who (region or
council) decide the budget approval and where the budget is directly
from (regional allocation, or OSAS). It might take a while to
ambassadors everywhere to get used to an updated interpretation.

>> My preference would be to not use this label for FADs. If we want to
>> keep using the word, let's call Flock _the_ premier global Fedora
>> event, and FUDCons premier regional events. I don't think we even need
>> a special term for FADs.
>>
>> And, I think *some* FADs make sense from the central community budget
>> (whether we call that the Council budget or something else), while
>> others — like the ambassadors' planning FADs — make sense to me to be
>> part of the regional budgets directly.
>

> then they will not happen, they eat easily a third of the regional budget.
> But there is still need for them.

I've the same concern. FADs typically involve people flying together
and meet f2f. It is costly, especially in APAC. So although putting
regional ambassador budget planning FADs in its own budget makes a lot
of sense, a major adjustment of regional budget allocation should be
expected.

Alick