[Ambassadors] LISA quick report

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 14 18:35:49 UTC 2015

Just some notes while it's fresh in my mind. :)

 We had 200-some scanned visitors to the booth (which was combined
  CentOS/oVirt and Fedora).

- I did a demo of Fedora Workstation running three VMs with Fedora
  Server, with Cockpit. Cockpit demoed very well -- the monitoring
  graph drew in attention and people were quite curious about it.

- I'd say a third of people I talked to used Fedora in a mixed
  environment with CentOS and RHEL servers. This seems like it's up
  from last time I was at LISA (two years ago), but that's subjective.
  Another third were just CentOS/RHEL shops, and those people at least
  listened patiently to my spiel about why mixing in Fedora both gives
  awareness of the future and the ability to participate and influence.

- As always at LISA, very, very positive and Fedora friendly. Lots of
  people commented on how solid the last few releases have been, both
  as desktop and server OS.

- No one I spoke to using Fedora Cloud in EC2 or OpenStack. Quite a few
  people _interested_ in Project Atomic -- there were hats with the
  logo, and when people heard "container optimized", they were _very_
  interested, but very few people had heard of it before.

- Ben Cotton suggested a Birds-of-a-Feather, so I wrote that on the
  whiteboard last minute. Something like 16 people attended, mostly
  users new to Fedora

- Several people commented on yum->dnf switch (why not just make it the
  next version of yum?) Got this both at the booth and the bof.
  Comments mostly along the lines of "what are you going to do *next*
  that's like that?"

- Only one _really_ complainy person, who wasn't a Fedora user and had
  no interest in being one, but was very, very concerned that we know
  that his friend had left for Ubuntu because KDE crashed. Came to both
  the booth and the BoF to tell us this.

- Thanks to Fedora Ambassador Corey Sheldon for helping run the booth,
  and for dealing with tricky hardware problems like "opening the
  pelican case" and "folding up banner stands". I'm a software person.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>