[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC 2016 proposal

sankarshan sankarshan at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 26 00:07:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Sudhir D <sdharane at redhat.com> wrote:
> I might be speculating but does this question arise because we don't see
> increase in number of contributors from APAC after an event like FUDCon
> APAC?

I am unaware of any specific data set which helps arrive at the
conclusion that increase in number of contributors occur after a large
event viz. FUDCon. It is normal that during the course of the event
(run-up and actual days) new participants would arrive; demonstrate
interest; exhibit eagerness to participate; make their first steps to
contributions.

The driving factor of contributions is the presence of mentors. The
available set of mentors (across APAC) across a set of projects and
initiatives within Fedora is not a large number. The important bit
here is to balance "mentor burn-out" with a way to constantly have new
contributions. For example, at PyCon India 2015, I realized that
Fedora Infrastructure is seeing a steady up-tick in contributions
(first patches; subsequent bits). And it would not be far fetched to
observe this "heat map" and extrapolate the interest/skillset into
other parts of the project.

> If that is the case, we might want to re-look at large event like FUDCon in
> this region and focus on having measurable ambassador programs and smaller
> local conferences which is not heavy on budget but good means to nurture and
> develop potential local Fedora contributors.

Smaller events eg. FADs are a good way to bring together a smaller
group of folks and solve a few problems. The flip side is that even
FADs can be expensive if there is a whole group of Fedora folks
undertaking international travel/stay.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>