[fedora-arm] OpenOffice RPMs

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Dec 29 15:54:54 UTC 2010

omalleys at msu.edu wrote:
> It doesn't look like there is.
>
> I'm not saying you are wrong or it wont work to use the RHEL6b2
> version, but if I was going to build them from scratch, I would
> probably use the f12 src. OO has a lot of dependencies.

I already resolved the dependencies. F12 was 3.1.0, and RHEL6b2 was
3.2.1, so I went with the latter.

Speaking of dependencies - there is a package build circular dependency.
Not sure if this should be reported as a bug:
openssl needs krb5-devel to build
krb5 needs openssl-devel to build

I'm pretty sure that can't be right since one has to be built first. In
this case I could rpm -ivh --nodeps, but I shouldn't really have to do that.

Speaking of bugs, do ARM Fedora bugs go into the bugzilla.redhat.com or
into a different bugzilla?

> To get around the OOM issue, just add a swap file. Here is a quick
> how-to if you aren't familiar.

I'm prefectly aware of how to add a swap file, thanks. I've only been
doing this for 20 years or so. :p

> It is probably going to take quite a bit of time to compile. Given
> there isn't a compiled version for arm, it will probably take more
> work then just a recompile.

Well:

1st attempt:
OOM-ed with only 512MB of RAM (I wanted to avoid swapping onto SD, it's
painful enough without the extra disk I/O it causes).

2nd attempt:
Failed because the build process used up all 8GB of space on the SD card
and died.

Going through the 3rd attempt now. Let's hope the 16GB USB stick proves
to be big enough to hold the build directory...

Considering how much I've had to build from src.rpms (shockingly, I've
not yet found anything that actually failed to build cleanly), I'm
half-tempted to put up a repository of my own when I'm done. Given that
ARM netbooks are becoming more popular I'm sure I won't be the only one
looking for these.

Gordan