[fedora-arm] Fedora ARM 12 on IGEPv2 (Beagle Board clone)

Stefano Cavallari stefano at cavallari.cjb.net
Sun Feb 14 15:26:54 UTC 2010

On Thursday 4 February 2010 19:31:09 Gregg Lebovitz wrote:
> Matt,
>
> I saw your posting on the fedora-arm mailing list.
>
> I am doing some work for Ti, Freescale, and the folks who make the
> BeagleBoard, and I would like to get fedora on the BeagleBoard.
>
> I was wondering if you made any progress? I am currently building for
> the arm5TE, but would be interested in any work an building fedora for
> an Arm7.

I have an IGEPv2 board too, and Fedora 12 seems to run well.
I'm using a prebuilt kernel which I "stole" from the NAND, and the rootfs from
Fedora wiki.
I'd like to run a native kernel though.
From the TODO in the wiki I see:
- Add prebuilt kernel images for a number of popular ARM boards.
Is there some automatic infrastructure to do that?
I mean something like:
* take latest Fedora kernel release source rpm
* add machine specific patches
* build various rpm (per-board)
* expose them in a repository
If there isn't such a thing yet, is anyone interested in setting it up? I have
some spare bandwidth and diskspace on my VPS, and some spare time too. I don't
know much of embedded development but probably enough to find the right
patches around to build a working kernel.

I think that after the BeagleBoard & clones there is a new kind of Linux-ARM
users which aren't really interested in embedded development, but just want a
low power server/appliance/whatever without messing too much with the
hardware.