[fedora-arm] Fedora ARM 12 on IGEPv2 (Beagle Board clone)

Matthew Wilson mj.wilson.uk at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 14 20:12:03 UTC 2010

On 14 February 2010 15:26, Stefano Cavallari <stefano at cavallari.cjb.net> wrote:
> I have an IGEPv2 board too, and Fedora 12 seems to run well.
> I'm using a prebuilt kernel which I "stole" from the NAND, and the rootfs from
> Fedora wiki.
> I'd like to run a native kernel though.

I'm not sure which is better.  The linux-omap branch (from which ISEE
take their kernel) has lots more support for the OMAP hw.  But, yes,
I'd rather see something closer to mainline if possible.

> If there isn't such a thing yet, is anyone interested in setting it up?

Yes, although I'm no expert.

I think the issue is getting a stable set of patches against the
Fedora kernel for each supported board.  I tried rebasing some of the
ISEE changes against a 2.6.32 but failed to get something meaningful.

Perhaps we could chat off-list and work out a good set of patches for the IGEP?

> I think that after the BeagleBoard & clones there is a new kind of Linux-ARM
> users which aren't really interested in embedded development, but just want a
> low power server/appliance/whatever without messing too much with the
> hardware.

Definitely!  Someone commented, when I was running the Fedora GNOME
desktop, "That's just like your PC!"

I was pleased to be able to buy the IGEPv2.  There are lots of
embedded dev boards available, but the dev kits often cost >1000 UKP.

I haven't had any time to spend on my board this week -- however, I'm
still working on my howto guide.  I'll email the list when I have
something.

Regards,
Matthew