[fedora-arm] Augen {smart|net}book creation ... can it run Fedora ARM?

pbrobinson at gmail.com pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 06:53:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Adam Miller
<maxamillion at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hello team Fedora ARM,
>    I posted in irc a few hours ago but I assumed on list would reach
> a wider audience... I read somewhere that there is now an ARM powered
> {smart|net}book device that comes out of the box running Android but I
> wanted to know if anyone might be familiar with a method of running
> Fedora ARM on the device or where I might start attempting? I haven't
> purchased one yet, but the device is listed at under $200 so I'm
> heavily considering as a hack toy .... here's the link to the product
> page: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_020W026051760001P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Laptops&keyword=augen&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4
>
> All feedback welcome and happy hacking!

I've been looking for something similar. From what I've read getting
the kernel to boot is the hardest bit because unlike the x86 or even
PPC platform there's no standard defined boot process or bios to boot
the kernel so there's dozens of ways to do so. If the company properly
complies with the GPL they should be providing source and process
(scripts etc) for building their kernels. So if the GPL is provided
for these devices it might be a good place to start.

Not being a kernel hacker I might be missing the entire point here.

I've been meaning to ask similar questions about the Tegra 2 ARM A9
processor from Nvidia. I presume they use their own GPU technology so
while they're not open source GPU kernel drivers generally I wondered
whether nouveau would work. There's a couple of tegra2 devices like
the Toshiba AC100 and the Samsung Galaxy appearing in the UK.