[fedora-arm] dietlibc port?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jan 7 10:36:11 UTC 2011

On 01/07/11 10:14, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> Andy Green wrote:

>> Sounds like you found a solution ^^
>
> It's a solution for me, but from tthe philosophical point of view, there
> is probably the greater issue of the distribution to consider. Is
> dietlibc really that useful on a non-embedded distribution (yes, I know
> I'm referring to the ARM port of something as non-embedded)? What really

Well a major reason to rely on a distro with a well-stocked repo of
binaries is that you can just use them, and other people have been
banging on them and fixing them too.  The prebuilt stuff is all built
against glibc so that's a strong reason to stick with that.

> concerns me is that it doesn't build on x86 either, at which point I
> can't but question what the point of having it in the current state is
> at all.

Dunno.  However I do know that there is a lot of politics at least in
the past around glibc

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=glibc+drepper+arrogant

... so it wouldn't surprise me if it's in the distro as a hedge on that
as much as anything else.

-Andy