[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Jan 7 15:29:43 UTC 2011

Andy Green wrote:
> On 01/07/11 15:11, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>
>> That means that the sha512sum binary that ships in the f12 rootfs is
>> broken. Where did your rootfs-f12 image come from? Did you build the
>> coreutils yourself?
>
> No, I build my images from packages, not using the tarball.  I have a
> script based off mkrootfs-f12 that uses yum and some magic to fetch from
> the normal repo and builds a rootfs purely from packages.
>
> Maybe it means the stuff in the f12 tarball is broken but I am not sure
> you proved that yet.  You just show that the version in the f12 tarball
> has different size (so naturally different md5sum).  The breakage could
> still be in some other library from the tarball environment.

That seems unlikely, because with everything else remaining the same, a
new coreutils package (from F13 repository) fixes it. And coreutils
doesn't bring any libs with it, from what I can see. So since the new,
working coreutils links against all the same libraries it doesn't bring
with it, that indicates that the coreutils in the rootfs tar ball is at
fault here. Or am I missing something?

Gordan