[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils

Jitesh Shah jitesh.1337 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:55:34 UTC 2011

..snip..

>>> I am inclined to think it might be compiler related. Andy's package is
>>> the same version as mine, his works, mine does not. The only thing that
>>> is likely to be different is the build environment.
>>
>> That and the development board. You are using a sheevaplug.
>> It is also likely that Andy's hardware does fixups for misaligned
>> accesses.
>
> It's an NXP LPC3250, ARM926EJ-S.  I have no idea if the hardware is handling
> the alignment issue but that would explain why everything is exactly zero on
> that box's alignment error stats.  Searching the datasheet for 'alignment'
> doesn't tell anything relevant.

A  test would be to write a simple program like

int *integer;
char test[3];

integer = (int *)test;
printf("%d", *integer);
integer = (int *)(test+1)
printf("%d", *integer);
/* Depending on the starting address of "test", we are guaranteed that
one of the two printfs will cause an alignment error */

Execute this on both the boards, yours and the sheevaplug. Watch the
alignment error count.
If none of the printfs cause an alignment error on your board, chances
are that something is transparently fixing it up.

Jitesh