[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jan 7 21:03:29 UTC 2011

On 01/07/11 20:55, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> ..snip..

>>> That and the development board. You are using a sheevaplug.
>>> It is also likely that Andy's hardware does fixups for misaligned
>>> accesses.
>>
>> It's an NXP LPC3250, ARM926EJ-S.  I have no idea if the hardware is handling
>> the alignment issue but that would explain why everything is exactly zero on
>> that box's alignment error stats.  Searching the datasheet for 'alignment'
>> doesn't tell anything relevant.
>
> A  test would be to write a simple program like

Yeah... let's find out.

/tmp/x.c:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main(int argc, char * argv[])
{
	unsigned char buf[8];
	unsigned int *p = (unsigned int *)&buf[1];

	strcpy(buf, "abcdefg");

	printf("0x%08x\n", *p);

	return 0;
}

[root at ivmon tmp]# gcc -o x x.c
[root at ivmon tmp]# ./x
0x61646362
[root at ivmon tmp]# cat /proc/cpu/alignment
User:		1
System:		0
Skipped:	0
Half:		0
Word:		0
DWord:		0
Multi:		0
User faults:	0 (ignored)
[root at ivmon tmp]# ./x
0x61646362
[root at ivmon tmp]# cat /proc/cpu/alignment
User:		2
System:		0
Skipped:	0
Half:		0
Word:		0
DWord:		0
Multi:		0
User faults:	0 (ignored)
[root at ivmon tmp]#

Nothing is fixing it up, not even the kernel, and the data is broken.

So it's true my box is alignment error -clean after boot.  I don't use
the Fedora sysvinit and instead come up in my own /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
as "init" at the moment.

-Andy