[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils / forcing alignment fixup and logging in initscripts

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Jan 8 19:10:45 UTC 2011

On 01/08/2011 11:10 AM, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 10:30 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
>> On 01/08/11 09:54, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>> On 01/08/2011 02:49 AM, Chris Tyler wrote:
>
>>> I would like to offer a counter-proposal - no package is accepted into
>>> Fedora (ARM?) until it stops generating misalignment warnings. That way
>>
>> I think your proposal is a bad idea.
>
> FWIW I think you're talking at cross-purposes. There's no reason there
> can't be a policy favoring stuff that doesn't generate miss-alignment
> warnings (whether outright denial, or just some kind of part of package
> reviews, and no reason this isn't a generic Fedora problem rather than
> being ARM specific), have software like abrt pick it up, and still do a
> fixup+warn setting in the kernel. You won't get silent breakage, and
> you'll send a message that software needs to be fixed.

Yup, exactly what Jon said. Such things need to be reported as bugs.

Running with fixup should be something used only on development/test
systems. It shouldn't be the norm for a live deployed system (and thus,
implicitly, shouldn't be the norm for a stable distribution release). It
must stop being acceptble for code to rely on this for correct functioning.

Gordan