[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils / forcing alignment fixup and logging in initscripts

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Jan 8 19:16:47 UTC 2011

On 01/08/2011 11:14 AM, Andy Green wrote:

> Having a policy that alignment faults should be avoided itself is fine,
> but it is not a replacement for the good assertive action made by
> changing the runtime policy.

To some extent I agree. But the policy should be aimed toward finding
and reporting these bugs, not toward glazing over the problem. To that
end, I am in favour of setting alignment to 1 rather than 3 as default.

> In fact I don't think we get to this point
> with so few fixups unless that was already the general policy not just
> here but in the upstreams.

Any policy of not fixing things like this should arguably be grounds for
excluding the package from the distribution.

> When the initscripts set the runtime action to be fixup + log, those
> faults will actually become more visible to everyone and help detection
> and removal of faults overall.

As I said, I was suggesting warn rather than fixup+warn for the extra
pressure to get such things fixed. I definitely agree with increasing
the visibility either way.

Gordan