[fedora-arm] Include prelink in fedora arm?

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:01:34 UTC 2011

AIDE is one good example of software that is hurt by prelink.

The prelinking feature can interfere with AIDE because it changes binaries
in an attempt to decrease startup time.
In other words prelink causes false positives.

So I'm surprised to read that in rhel6 prelink is required by aide.

Regardless, I suppose having the latest version is desirable for those
looking to speed startup times.
Or perhaps just compile dependencies.

-Jon

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>  On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:41:22 -0300, Itamar Reis Peixoto
>  <itamar at ispbrasil.com.br> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net>
> > wrote:
> >>  On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:34:43 -0400, William Cohen
> >> <wcohen at redhat.com>

> >>  Can you elaborate as to why? My experience and measurements show
> >> that
> >>  prelink does more harm than good more offten than not. I can think
> >> of a
> >>  lot of reasons to not use it, and very few reasons to use it.
> >>

> > alot of programs use it, rpmfusion programs are examples.
>
>  Can you list them? In the RHEL6 distro I only see it being required by
>  aide and hmaccalc (I may be missing a few, my logs aren't quite
>  complete).
>
>  Gordan

-Jon