[fedora-arm] Include prelink in fedora arm?

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Sep 6 17:06:13 UTC 2011

 On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:01:34 -0500, Jon <jdisnard at gmail.com> wrote:
> AIDE is one good example of software that is hurt by prelink.
>
> The prelinking feature can interfere with AIDE because it changes
> binaries in an attempt to decrease startup time.
> In other words prelink causes false positives.
>
> So I'm surprised to read that in rhel6 prelink is required by aide.
>
> Regardless, I suppose having the latest version is desirable for
> those
> looking to speed startup times.
> Or perhaps just compile dependencies.

 Compiling dependencies I can understand, but I am not at all convinced
 about the start-up time benefits. I haven't seen any conclusive,
 objective and consistent evidence of it yet, and I can think of a lot of
 reasons to avoid prelink (tripwire and vserver hashify are two things
 that immediately come to mind).

 Gordan