[fedora-arm] Include prelink in fedora arm?

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 17:22:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:15:45 +0200, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Citation needed? ;)

http://lwn.net/Articles/341244/
	If I can get a 50% speed up to a program's startup times,

> All the benchmarks I have seen have been in the 10-15% range,

I agree 10% is more realistic.  But 1% of speed is about 1.5 year of the whole
GCC team work so even 10% is more than GCC can improve in nearby years.

With LD_DEBUG=all one can see the whole startup part of ld.so being skipped on
prelinked executables so apparently prelink saves some work.

> Personally, I would consider prelink a 'ok, we have everything working
> now, and we want to look at making it faster' instead of enabling it
> before everything is working or building.

I agree That makes sense (although I do not think the prelink issues will be
ARM specific and they are already resolved on other arches; I may be wrong).

Thanks,
Jan