[fedora-arm] Slow USB storage on A9 processors

David Marlin dmarlin at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 16:05:30 UTC 2011

Jeffrey Bastian wrote:
> On 2011-09-09 12:48, David A. Marlin wrote:
>> Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> I know it was discussed a while ago how the USB storage on PandaBoards
>>> was slow, not sure what the resolution was but saw this article on LWN
>>> that looks like our problem there for those that might not have seen
>>> the post elsewhere and are interested.
>>>
>>> https://lwn.net/Articles/457145/
>>>
>> I have built a kernel package for f13 and f15 using Mark's patches.
>> They are available from the xpfa repos.
>
> I installed the 2.6.40.3-0.fc14.armv7l.omap kernel on my PandaBoard
> (with Fedora 13) and it boots, but networking seems to be broken.  The
> interface name has reverted back to usb0 (it was eth0 with 2.6.39) and
> even with the interface up and configured, I can't ping anything.
>
> Do I need to update something else?

I'm not sure what to say, except that I obviously didn't get the latest
kernel into the f13 repo.  It should be:

   kernel-omap-2.6.40.3-2.02.fc13.armv7l.rpm

for the f13 softfp kernel to get Mark's patch.  I'll get that fixed ASAP.

On the other hand, I am running 2.6.40.3-0.fc14 on a panda here,

   $ uname -a
   Linux panda-8.farm 2.6.40.3-0.fc14.armv7l.omap #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug
22 12:46:51 EDT 2011 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

and networking is working fine, and is on eth0:

   $ ifconfig
   eth0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr E2:D6:6D:A3:52:EF
         inet addr:192.168.xx.yy  Bcast:192.168.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
		:

I can ssh in, and pings out from that system also work.

I'm not sure what the problem could be, unless there is some difference
in your network hardware or configuration.  Does the boot log provide
any clues?

Note:  I am using a static IP address for eth0 since the pandas may
assign an arbitrary MAC address when the system is restarted and DHCP
may fail.  I'm not sure if this could be related to the problem you are
seeing or not.

d.marlin