[fedora-arm] Anyone working on Mele A1000 or Allwinner A10 CPU?

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Tue Aug 7 16:09:49 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 11:59 PM, Jon wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Steven A. Falco <safalco at optonline.net> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2012 06:12 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
[...]
>> Ok - I have Fedora 17 running on the Mele.  It is quite a hack, but it
>> is usable (yum merrily installing the dev tools as we speak).
>>
>> Here is the recipe:
>>
>> 1) grab and cross-compile a copy of the kernel from:
>>          git://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner.git
>>     (use branch allwinner-v3.0-android-v2 with sun4i_defconfig)
>> 2) grab http://hands.com/~lkcl/mele-ubuntu-lucid.img.lzma and write it
>>     to an SD card (don't forget to decompress it).  Afterwards, use
>>     gparted to expand the ext partition to fill the SD card.
>>
>> 3) Mount the various partitions of the SD card on a host machine.  On
>>     the fat partition, replace uImage with the one you just built.  On
>>     the ext partition, blow everything away, and replace with an untar of:
>>
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/17/Images/armhfp/Fedora-17-armhfp-console.tar.xz
>>
>> 4) Install the modules that go with the kernel you built to the ext
>>     partition (into /lib/modules/3.0.38+).
>>
>> 5) Stick the SD card in the Mele, and it should boot.

Alternatively and Cleaner:

1) Download A1000 hardware pack from nightly builds. This is a Kernel
and Uboot pre-built.

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/nightly_build_images/

2) Grab the a1x-media-create.sh Script.

# Needs to be Modified to support Fedora .zx tar archive and /lib
symbolic link. Working on a patch.

3) Download the Fedora Root FS.

4) Run media build script.

5) Stick SD card in the Mele and it will boot.

This removes the dependence on the ubuntu image and automatically makes
the partitions the correct size for the media.

>> One big issue is that the built-in eth0 is not functional.  That is true
>> of the ubuntu build as well.  To get around that, I plugged in a USB/ethernet
>> adapter (and built the kernel module for it).  That gave me a usable eth1.

I got it to boot on Saturday using the method I outlined. I ran out of
time to verify what did and didn't work.

>> This clearly needs a ton of work to be a proper Fedora installation,
>> but at least it is a start...

Yes, certainly getting easier.

> Sounds like a good start.
>
> We could probably just use the resize script in our image to expand
> partition and resize ext on firstboot?

No need with the creation script from the nightly builds. Otherwise we
could re-purpose the scripts form the Raspberry Pi remix.

> We might also consider making a wiki page for this device, ensure to
> mention this is unsupported.

Where do you want it?

--
Scott Sullivan