[fedora-arm] Anyone working on Mele A1000 or Allwinner A10 CPU?

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:36:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott at ss.org> wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 11:59 PM, Jon wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Steven A. Falco <safalco at optonline.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 08/03/2012 06:12 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>>> Ok - I have Fedora 17 running on the Mele.  It is quite a hack, but it
>>> is usable (yum merrily installing the dev tools as we speak).
>>>
>>> Here is the recipe:
>>>
>>> 1) grab and cross-compile a copy of the kernel from:
>>>          git://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner.git
>>>     (use branch allwinner-v3.0-android-v2 with sun4i_defconfig)
>>> 2) grab http://hands.com/~lkcl/mele-ubuntu-lucid.img.lzma and write it
>>>     to an SD card (don't forget to decompress it).  Afterwards, use
>>>     gparted to expand the ext partition to fill the SD card.
>>>
>>> 3) Mount the various partitions of the SD card on a host machine.  On
>>>     the fat partition, replace uImage with the one you just built.  On
>>>     the ext partition, blow everything away, and replace with an untar
>>> of:
>>>

>>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/17/Images/armhfp/Fedora-17-armhfp-console.tar.xz
>>>
>>> 4) Install the modules that go with the kernel you built to the ext
>>>     partition (into /lib/modules/3.0.38+).
>>>
>>> 5) Stick the SD card in the Mele, and it should boot.
>

> Alternatively and Cleaner:
>
> 1) Download A1000 hardware pack from nightly builds. This is a Kernel and
> Uboot pre-built.
>
> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/nightly_build_images/
>
> 2) Grab the a1x-media-create.sh Script.
>
> # Needs to be Modified to support Fedora .zx tar archive and /lib symbolic
> link. Working on a patch.
>
> 3) Download the Fedora Root FS.
>
> 4) Run media build script.
>
> 5) Stick SD card in the Mele and it will boot.
>
> This removes the dependence on the ubuntu image and automatically makes the
> partitions the correct size for the media.
>

>>> One big issue is that the built-in eth0 is not functional.  That is true
>>> of the ubuntu build as well.  To get around that, I plugged in a
>>> USB/ethernet
>>> adapter (and built the kernel module for it).  That gave me a usable
>>> eth1.
>

> I got it to boot on Saturday using the method I outlined. I ran out of time
> to verify what did and didn't work.
>

>>> This clearly needs a ton of work to be a proper Fedora installation,
>>> but at least it is a start...
>

> Yes, certainly getting easier.
>

>> Sounds like a good start.
>>
>> We could probably just use the resize script in our image to expand
>> partition and resize ext on firstboot?
>

> No need with the creation script from the nightly builds. Otherwise we could
> re-purpose the scripts form the Raspberry Pi remix.

That is the script I'm talking about, I believe it is on the Fedora
image you have used.
Look at your systemd units, it should just work on first boot.

>> We might also consider making a wiki page for this device, ensure to
>> mention this is unsupported.
>

> Where do you want it?

How about here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/AllwinerA10
[does not exist yet]

Presumably these steps will work with the mk802?
I'll attempt to reproduce your results soon, hopefully tonight.

Have you seen this?
[1] https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/42

They have a Fedora image for mk802 (allwinner a10) with a UI.
An opportunity take a look at some prior art, though I don't see any
build steps.

Hopefully we can document the build steps for others to follow on the wiki.

Thanks,
-Jon