[fedora-arm] Initial Chromebook install instructions

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:04:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:08 AM, David Rusling <david.rusling at linaro.org>wrote:

> Jon,
>         thanks, some comments, I'm 'out of the box' testing your wiki page
> as I create a new 16Gb SD system:
>
> [1] Your gdisk instructions are missing the write out of the partition
> table, you need to add "w" and "y" at the end
>
> [2] Terminal wise, I prefer M. berrange's use of a terminal within the
> Chrome browser (ctrl-alt-t) as it's easier to cut and paste commands from
> the web page
>
> [3] You missed out creating the guest account.  Unless you worked around
> this by logging in as root.
>
> Dave

Here is another way to setup the partition:

sgdisk --set-alignment=8192     \
       --new=1:8192:+16M        \
       --typecode=1:7f00        \
       --change-name=1:"KERN-A" \
       --new=2:40960:+16M       \
       --typecode=2:7f00        \
       --change-name=2:"KERN-B" \
       --new=3:73728:+500M      \
       --typecode=3:8200        \
       --change-name=3:"SWAP"   \
       --new=4:1097728:0        \
       --typecode=4:8300        \
       --change-name=4:"rootfs" \
       /dev/sdc

I'm pretty sure it's also possible to set the attributes in gdisk, to
eliminate the need for chromeos CGPT cmd.

And the ext4:

mkfs.ext4 -v -b 4096  \
          -m 2        \
          -L 'rootfs'
          -U `uuidgen` \
          /dev/sdc4

The above uses a LABEL which makes things nice in Chrome OS because it
mounts under '/media/removable/rootfs'

To install F18 beta on the sdcard, just loop mount the latest VFAD image,
 and copy the bits over.
Slightly more hassle than unpacking a tarball, but well worth it.
I used the Panda image, like so:

wget
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/vault/f18-beta-tc1/F18-panda-20121130.img.xz-O
/tmp/F18-panda-20121130.img.xz

unxz /tmp/F18-panda-20121130.img.xz
mkdir -p /mnt/{src,dest}
mount  -o loop,offset=735051776  /tmp/F18-panda-20121130.img  /mnt/src
mount  /dev/sdc4  /mnt/dest
( cd /mnt/src ; tar cf - * ) | ( cd /mnt/dest ; tar xvpf - )
umount /mnt/src