[fedora-arm] Thought there might be some Interest. Rasperry Pi

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 13:16:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> Still only available for pre-order-interest-registration, though.
>>>
>>> The good news, however, is that the type A device (available some time
>>> later
>>> this year allegedly) looks like it will also ship with 256MB of RAM
>>> (instead
>>> of the originally planned 128MB), which elevates it from "useless" to
>>> "mostly useless" as far as running a current Linux distro is concerned.
>>

>> Fedora at least runs just fine with 256Mb of RAM. I have a few devices
>> with such spec that will happy run a UX on them, the XO-1 is one
>> example.
>

> Define "runs just fine", please. Default desktop environment with some
> commonly used applications like Firefox and Thunderbird? My Thunderbird
> expands to over 150MB of RAM when it loads.
>
> And then there's LibreOffice...
>
> If "runs just fine" is intended to mean "average desktop use", I don't think
> the experience with 256MB of RAM fits the description.

It runs Firefox and LibreOffice just fine using gnome 3 in fall back
mode. You can't run a large amount of tabs but when I say just fine
it's exactly what I mean.

The Raspberry Pi or the XO are not devices aimed at "average desktop
use" and I'm sure anyone would be able to work that out but the fact
remains it does run it and runs it reasonably well given the specs on
the device. If you want a fast device that can do 100s of tabs and a
billion other things you need to go and spend more than $35. They're
both a completely different use case.