[fedora-arm] Weekly ARM status meeting - Wed 2012/05/16

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed May 16 06:40:34 UTC 2012

On 05/15/2012 05:06 PM, Paul Whalen wrote:

> 1) Release of the Fedora 17 Beta
> 	- Are there any remaining issues blocking the release?

Folks,

It is my intention that we ship beta before Friday. Therefore, I will
take a fairly hard line in this meeting with regard to issues. We can
always find reasons not to ship this beta, but POWER is currently even
ahead of us and they have far fewer packages...we don't look good if we
wait around to be perfect just because we want to be PA. We're not PA,
therefore we should compromise as necessary to get this out and ensure
we've figured out what we need to get taken care of in GA or F18. I
might add I'm far more concerned that we get onto F18 asap.

I just started a vexpress scratch build that I believe will fix the
problem with booting (just build MMCI in as I suggested before). I have
also tested blc's nightlies on Panda ES and confirmed that does not boot
correctly either. Therefore, for the beta, either we:

1). Leave the f15 kernel in the image for now and deploy an update asap
that will allow people to upgrade to an F17 kernel.

2). Include the broken omap kernel in the image but don't make the image
official at this time, and provide some instructions around how to
temporarily get it working.

Really, we could just say for the beta we won't make a Panda image
available and just not copy it over to the mirrors. Those who want to
test Panda can use a nightly for now, or the generic filesystem image
without the kernel+install one of their choice. But delaying the beta by
yet more time to wait on this is counterproductive.

Thanks - I don't mean to sound pushy (well, I do, but in a nice way).

Jon.